Perins School Celebrates Outstanding GCSE Results
Perins School is celebrating another year of outstanding GCSE examination results, rewarding the exceptionally hard work of students and staff. In a year of changes to performance measures as well as curriculum requirements, the students exceeded all expectations and the school has seen a significant increase from 2016 on all key measures. In comparison with 2016, the ‘old’ headline figure of 5A*-C including English and Maths saw a 7 percentage points increase on last year’s excellent results. Over 28% of all entries achieved at least an A grade.
The core subjects achieved staggering results of 88% A*-C equivalent in English and 79% A*-C equivalent in Maths. Science results were also notably incredibly high, including 99% A*-C in Biology and over 93% A*-C in both Chemistry and Physics.
Headteacher, Mr Steve Jones, commented, “Behind these excellent results are stories of individuals. I know the many hours of work that our staff and students have put into achieving these exceptional results. We took the moral decision to ‘break from the pack’ and, where other schools were narrowing their curriculum at the detriment of areas such as sport and the arts to focus on core and English Baccalaureate subjects, we invested heavily into a more holistic approach. I am delighted that not only is this reflected in the overall results, but that those very core subjects of Maths and English have shown significant improvements as a result of students becoming ‘immersed’ in life at Perins. Of note should be the major increases in our English Baccalaureate and English and Maths combined ‘Good+’ pass figures with a further 10% rise from last year’s commendable figures. This, along with the significant number of our young people achieving the new grade 9, indicates that our students, in a year-group labelled nationally as ‘guinea pigs’, have shown that they have the resilience, intellect and work ethic that will ensure that they will achieve major successes throughout their lives. I am proud to be working with such committed staff, supportive parents and most importantly an outstanding student body that never fails to impress me with their attitudes, abilities and support for one another.”
Some of the notable successes at Perins:
- Our top performers this year with average points’ scores exceeding 57 are Maia Cave, Sophia Hawkins, Ben Matthews, Eleanor Moss and Josh Taylor. Sophia, Eleanor and Josh gained A* and A (9-8) grades in all ten of their GCSE subjects.
- Exceptional results were achieved in the non-core subjects including: Drama 98%, Music 96%, Physical Education 92%, Textiles 89%, Computing 84%, and History 83%.
- An equivalent of 83% (Good+) achieved 5 A*-C.
- An equivalent of 76% (Good+) achieved 5 A*-C, including English and Maths.
- 41% of pupils achieved the English Baccalaureate, bettering last year’s figure by a 11 percent point increase.
Summary of figures:
- 2017 Progress 8 score +0.1
- Attainment 8 score 53.96
- Percentage of pupils who have achieved grade 4 or above in English and Maths at the end of KS4 – 77%
- Percentage of pupils who have achieved the English Baccalaureate – 42%
- Percentage of pupils who were entered for the English Baccalaureate – 67%
Please click here to view the Perins School performance on the DfE school tables website.