As the evenings are getting darker earlier it is an opportune time to remind students to be safe on their journey to and from school.
There are some simple things you can discuss with your child to keep themselves and their friends safe:
- Make sure you can be seen – brightly coloured or fluorescent clothing shows up well in daylight and at dusk when you’re heading to and from school.
- Make sure you use the pavement and crossings where possible. Always use the Green Cross Code.
- Don’t cross the roads between cars; oncoming headlights may mean drivers can’t see you.
- Walk along the pavement facing oncoming traffic but keep back from the kerb.
- Where possible don’t walk home alone, walk in a group.
- Stick to well-lit and well-used areas. Don’t take short cuts through dark and remote alleyways, or parks and keep clear of recesses such as doorways.
- Always use a route home that you know.
- Walk briskly and with confidence and try to keep your hands free.
- Be alert to your surroundings. Do not walk whilst chatting on your mobile phone or with earphones in.
- If you have concerns about a group of people or a particular situation, keep away.