Perins School is celebrating, following another outstanding year of GCSE results. Building on previous successes, the cohort saw substantial gains in all measures of progress and attainment including:
- An increase in Progress 8 measure (based on comparative data)
- A 3 percentage point increase on the overall Attainment 8
- English has demonstrated an 8 percentage point increase on student gaining grades 9-7 with a third of students gaining these grades (equivalent to previous A*/A), 5 percentage point increase on strong passes (9-5) and an increase in standard passes (9-4)
- Maths has demonstrated a 5 percentage point increase on 9-7 with 25% of student gaining these grades (equivalent to A*/A), a 9 percentage point increase on strong passes (9-5) and a 4 percentage point increase for standard passes (9-4)
- The threshold of English and maths combined for strong pass (5+) has shown a significant 11 percentage point increase with a further increase on the standard pass threshold.
- 22% of students achieved a grade 9 (higher than previous A*), 41% achieved a grade 8 or above (equivalent to old A*) and 64% of students achieving the equivalent of the old grade A.
Headteacher Steve Jones stated that “Our whole school focus on ensuring that our students gain not just the standard passes but achieve higher grade passes in core subjects has paid off. These provide students with the baselines required for all future courses of study. What is especially pleasing is that we have seen a major increase in the EBacc measure where 37.5% of students received a standard pass (2018 national figure was 24%) but more importantly nearly 30% of students achieved a strong pass, up 11.5 percentage points on our excellent 2018 figure (2018 national figure was 17%). This demonstrates that our staff and students are able to show success holistically and provide the best possible framework for the exciting future of our young people. We are extremely proud of all of our students and staff and this is the start of our new curriculum approaches which indicate further gains for future years. Exciting times ahead!”
The Perins School 2019 GCSE Exam Results Provisional Scores and Percentages
|Progress 8 score||-0.01|
|Attainment 8 score||52.42|
|Percentage of students who achieved a strong pass in English and maths||55|
|Percentage of students entered for the Ebacc||49|
|Percentage of students who achieved the Ebacc||38|
|Percentage of students staying in education or employment after KS4||97|
A strong pass in English and Maths is grade 5 or above.
To enter the EBacc (English Baccalaureate) students must take up to 8 GCSEs or equivalents across the 5 subject ‘pillars’ of English language and English literature, maths, sciences, a language and history or geography.
The EBacc attainment measure is an average point score (EBacc APS) showing students’ point scores across the 5 pillars of the EBacc.