Thanks to the local philanthropist Henry Perin, Perins School has been educating the youth of Alresford for over 300 years and is one of the oldest schools in the county. Henry Perin died in 1696 leaving funds in his will to build a school in Alresford to educate “19 poor men’s sons”. He stipulated that 6 boys should come from New Alresford, 5 from Old Alresford, 4 from Bishops Sutton and 4 from Cheriton. The school was founded in 1698 and a group of trustees, the rectors from the four parishes, established to oversee the school.
The school was built on the corner of West Street and The Dean in Alresford. The building still stands and is now home to the Shapla Indian restaurant. Perins moved to its current location in 1910 having outgrown the original building though this continued to be used for borders. The new Perins School provided 7 new classrooms including a science laboratory and was seen as a major development in education.
The school has developed and grown significantly since then with the addition of new facilities and more classroom blocks which have been added over the years. The school’s latest additions is a purpose built Maths block, opened in spring 2014, and the Perins Cafe which was completed in January 2016.
Perins’ history reflects the progression of education through the ages as it has changed to meet society’s needs. Over the coming years our aim is for Perins School to be at the cutting edge of educational reform as we seek to perfect what we do best – developing well-rounded individuals ready to make their way in the world.
The School also saw a change in Headteacher in September 2015 and welcomed Mr Steve Jones to Perins. Mr Jones’ arrival bought about many new initiatives and a new ethos for the school, including the introduction of the new House system. The houses, Ventus, Ignis, Terra and Aqua stand for VITA which is the Latin for ‘Life’.
Perins School has changed its name nine times since it was founded in 1698 yet it has always been referred to locally, simply as ‘Perins’. Today Perins School is a comprehensive school for students aged 11-16 with 1,180 students on roll. Perins converted to academy status in August 2011.
Excitingly, in September 2017 Perins became sponsors of Sun Hill Junior School, forming The Perins Multi-Academy Trust (MAT), creating further links between both schools and ensuring a seamless transition for our pupils as they begin their journey at Perins.
|1696||Henry Perin dies leaving a will to found a school in New Alresford|
|1698||Free Grammar School of Henry Perin opens on West Street|
|1825||Charities Commission report to amend the constitution of the school and trustees|
|1899||Becomes co-educational with 41 boys and girls coming under local authority control|
|1910||New building on current site is built to re-house the growing numbers|
|1919||Student numbers have grown to 146 students|
|1930||All grammar schools are changed to single sex schools|
|1932||School closes as student numbers dwindle to just 50|
|1934||School re-opens as Perins Senior Council School and later changes to Alresford Senior Council School with 143 students|
|WW2||Evacuees from London and Portsmouth swell roll numbers to 350|
|1948||Name changes to Alresford County Secondary School with the roll at 320 students|
|1965||Perins name is revived by new head mistress to Perins County Secondary School|
|1973||Becomes comprehensive school with 656 students|
|1979||Roll numbers increase to over 800 students|
|1981||Development of community services sees name change to Perins Community School|
|2001||Awarded sports specialism status and name changes to Perins School, A Community Sports College|
|2011||Converts to academy status and resumes the name of Perins School|
|2014||New Maths block built|
|2015||Mr Jones appointed as Headteacher|
|2016||Perins Cafe was built to provide additional catering facilities for the school|
|2016||New House System introduced|
The Perins Multi-Academy Trust was formed